Shari A. Brandt is a partner with more than 20 years of experience representing institutions and individuals in high stakes commercial civil litigation, regulatory and white collar criminal proceedings and internal investigations, often in matters involving financial services and complex financial products. Clients have described her as: having “deep knowledge of the subject matter, sound judgment, [and] great instincts,” “very client service oriented,” “extremely smart, experienced, hardworking and thorough”, “does a great job with really complex cases,” and someone who “works incredibly hard to ensure that all bases are covered.” (Legal 500, 2010-2020; Chambers USA 2020).
Ms. Brandt regularly defends matters that proceed simultaneously in regulatory, white collar defense and civil litigation forums. She represents clients in civil litigations at the federal and state level, arbitrations and mediations, and defends against investigations by the CFTC, SEC, FINRA, United States Attorney’s Office, Department of Justice, state Attorney’s General offices and other governmental and self-regulatory bodies.
Representative matters include:
- Conducting investigation for brokerage firms in connection with industrywide CFTC investigation into the trading of interest rate products in connection with corporate bond issuances.
- Conducting investigation into company and personnel accused of extortion and blackmail.
- Conducted investigations for multiple brokerage firms in connection with domestic and international regulatory inquiries into the setting of financial benchmark rates and trading of associated financial products (including F/X, F/X options, and interest rates swaps), and defend against related civil litigation
- Lead attorney for brokerage firm in connection with class action litigation concerning the setting of the U.S. Dollar Isdafix benchmark rate;
- Representing multiple brokerage firms in connection with domestic and international regulatory inquiries into the setting of LIBOR and other benchmark rates and related class action litigation;
- Representing firms and individuals in connection with CFTC enforcement investigations.
- Representing an insurer in litigation across the country and regulatory inquiries concerning bond offerings, auction rate securities and residential mortgage-backed securities;
- Representing a bank conducting an internal investigation into anonymous allegations of kickbacks and bribery;
- Representing a brokerage firm in connection with regulatory inquiries into anti- competitive conduct concerning credit default swaps;
- Representing trader of Treasury bonds in connection with Department of Justice investigation into the Treasury Auction market;
- Representing former president of an auto parts manufacturer in connection with Department of Justice antitrust inquiry;
- Representing group of employees in the credit department of a bank in connection with multiple regulatory inquiries and civil litigation into due diligence surrounding the purchase and sale of RMBS.
Last updated June 2020