T: +1 (713) 547 9138
Stewart Hoffer has an active trial practice litigating complex commercial litigation and employment disputes. Mr. Hoffer is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell and a Texas Super Lawyer— having been selected every year since since the list began being published in 2003.
• Challenged the City of Houston’s failure to comply with a journalist’s efforts to expose potential irregularities in the City’s award of a lucrative recycling contract. City of Houston v Dolcefino Communications, et al., 01-17-00979-CV (Tex. App. – Houston [1st Dist.], October 30, 2018).
• Served as the sole trial lawyer, and part of the appellate team that changed Texas procedural and substantive law regarding whether a court could, consistent with the Texas and U.S. Constitution, require the removal of, and enjoin the republication of, speech adjudicated as defamatory. Kinney v. Barnes, 443 S.W.3d 87 (Tex. 2014).
• Obtained an order conditionally granting a writ of mandamus which overturned a trial court’s order that required client to produce hard drives for forensic analysis. See In re Pinnacle Engineering, Inc., 405 S.W.3d 835 (Tex. App. – Houston [1st Dist.] 2013, orig. proceeding).
Representative, Published Cases:
• See Republic Services, Inc. v. Martha Rodriguez and Custom Copying Solutions, L.P., No. 14-12-01054-CV (Tex. App. – Houston [14th Dist.] 2014, no pet.)
• Wasserberg v. Flooring Services of Texas, LLC, 376 S.W.3d 202 (Tex. App. – Houston [14th Dist.] 2012, no pet.)
• In re Motor Trike, Inc., 347 S.W.3d 806 (Tex. App. – Corpus Christi 2011, orig. proceeding)
• Dynamic Sports Nutrition, Inc. v. Roberts, 2009 WL 136023 (S.D. Tex. 2009)
• Murphy v. Butler, 512 F. Supp. 2d 975 (S.D. Tex. 2007)
• Fleming & Assoc. v. Miller & Assoc., 2005 WL 1155118 (S.D. Tex. 2005)
• Washington v. Occidental Chemical Corp., 24 F.Supp.2d 713 (S.D. Tex. 1998)
• Harvey v. Chevron U.S.A., Inc., 961 F. Supp. 1017 (S.D. Tex. 1997)
Stewart received his J.D., with honors, from the University of Texas School of Law and thereafter served as a law clerk to the Honorable Hayden W. Head, Jr., United States District Judge for the Southern District of Texas.
Last Updated September 2019