T: +1 (212) 506 1723
Paul M. “Tad” O’Connor is a distinguished first chair trial and appellate litigator focusing on complex commercial cases. He is regularly cited for his legal knowledge by publications including The Wall Street Journal, The American Lawyer and Law360. Tad’s clients have included, among others, private equity powerhouse TPG, Fortress Investment Group, a lender in a dispute relating to Liverpool Football Club, and many major international real estate and hospitality companies including Related, JDS, L and L Holdings, Maximus, InterContinental Hotels Group, Crowne Plaza, Morgans, sbe, Hilton and Aman Resorts.
Tad represents private equity firms, hotel owners and developers, major corporations and wealthy individuals in federal and state courts around the country and before arbitration tribunals in the United States and Europe. He has been involved a number of times in obtaining discovery outside the United States under international conventions and treaties.
Tad also has significant experience handling real estate disputes related to commercial and hotel properties around the country, including the representation of hotel operators in disputes with owners. His work has been instrumental in the firm’s Real Estate and Hotel Litigation Practice Group’s Tier 1 ranking in U.S. News.
Tad has been recognized by Chambers USA and The Legal 500 as one of the top litigators in the United States.
- TPG, one of the world’s largest private equity firms, in a variety of matters, including in litigation related to a Greek telecommunications company.
- JDS Development in the dismissal of state and federal RICO claims against developer related to a 90 story tower rising on 57th Street, recently upheld by the Second Circuit.
- An international hotel company in successfully obtaining significant preliminary injunctions arising from contract disputes with hotel owners.
- A large Singapore semiconductor-related company in successful litigation involving its 2013 debt issuances.
- A lender in a dispute with The Royal Bank of Scotland relating to Liverpool Football Club, which was sold to a group led by the owner of the Boston Red Sox.
- Majority owner of Aman Resorts, a luxury hotel group with locations in 15 countries, in a dispute relating to the acquisition of the company.
Last updated September 2019