T: +1 (212) 506 1717
Matthew B. Stein’s practice focuses on representing debtors, creditors, statutory and
ad hoc committees, indenture trustees, private equity funds and other investors throughout the capital structure in complex restructurings, reorganizations and liquidation proceedings. He has extensive experience in litigation arising from distressed situations and leveraged buyouts, including fraudulent conveyances and preferential payments. He also regularly handles disputes involving contested plan confirmation, including valuation disputes, subordination and recharacterization of claims, cramdown and vote designation issues.
Matt was recognized in 2017 and 2018 as an “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer” by Turnarounds and Workouts, which honored 12 top attorneys under 40 in the restructuring practice area. He has also been recognized on the Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Hot List and in The Legal 500’s guide to outstanding attorneys nationwide for Corporate Restructuring (including bankruptcy).
- A controlling creditor at the parent company of Toys “R” Us in all aspects of Toys “R” Us’ Chapter 11 case.
- Special litigation counsel to the Ad Hoc Group of Second Lien Lenders in SunEdison.
- Controlling equity holder in EB Holdings II (Eco-Bat).
- A noteholder in Taberna Preferred Funding IV, challenging the commencement of an involuntary bankruptcy against the issuer of a CDO.
- Official Equity Committee in Hercules Offshore, resulting in the confirmation of a plan that provided equity with a guaranteed recovery of $15 million and reduced the claim of the first lien lenders by $32.5 million.
- Harbinger Capital in LightSquared, successfully restructuring its $2 billion investment, including related litigation by Harbinger against Dish Network and the FCC.
- A governmental entity in Ciber, resulting in the successful remand of a state court litigation removed by the debtor and partial relief from the automatic stay.
- A Delaware limited liability company in a corporate governance dispute with certain members resulting in the successful effectuation of a contested amended operating agreement, appointment of a new CEO, and implementation of other corporate governance structures.
- Aman Resorts Group in its successful dismissal of an involuntary bankruptcy case and related bankruptcy cases.
Last updated June 2019