Year Joined Firm: 1994
+1 512 495-6000
Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 1994 (Senior Notes & Comments Editor, Baylor Law Review)
Baylor University, B.A., 1992 (cum laude)
Languages Spoken: English
Travis Barton has represented clients in complex business and technology litigation in state and federal courts. Travis’ commercial litigation experience includes breach of contract, intellectual property, oil and gas, employment contracts, legal malpractice defense, real estate and technology licensing. In the areas of technology and intellectual property, his experience spans patent, trademark and copyright infringement, as well as trade secret litigation and licensing disputes.
Travis is also experienced in oil and gas litigation, including matters in South Texas and the Eagle Ford Shale Play. This experience includes disputes involving title issues, drilling operations and surface damage, royalty underpayment, offset and development, bad faith pooling, cessation of production and lease termination. Travis is admitted to practice in Texas and is a cum laude graduate of Baylor University and Baylor University School of Law, J.D. (Senior Notes & Comments Editor, Baylor Law Review).
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Defending a multi-million-dollar project management dispute involving a software conversion, and winning a verdict on a counterclaim.
- Serving as lead counsel in more than 50 trademark infringement lawsuits throughout Texas.
- Acting as co-counsel in more than a dozen patent infringement lawsuits throughout Texas, including the Marshall Division of the Eastern District of Texas.
- Serving as lead counsel in patent-inventorship disputes in the Western/Southern Districts of Texas. Acting as lead counsel in numerous copyright infringement cases throughout Texas.
- Serving as lead counsel in numerous misappropriation of trade secret cases involving software, geophysical and drilling data, and proprietary customer information.
- Serving as primary counsel on the patent prosecution and patent litigation aspects of a legal malpractice case.
- Handling numerous disputes involving the performance of hardware and software technologies. Counseling technology clients in disputes involving software licensing and software conversions. Counseling in multiple warranty and breach-of-contract disputes involving the performance of hardware and software products.
Oil & Gas/Energy Litigation
- Winning a summary judgment as lead counsel for a Fortune 500 oil and gas company in a title dispute in South Texas.
- Handling numerous royalty underpayment cases involving royalty accounting and an alleged failure to develop including numerous matters arising from the Eagle Ford Shale Play.
- Handling several lease termination disputes arising from an alleged cessation of production or an alleged failure to produce in paying quantities.
- Serving as lead counsel in several disputes involving the provision of oilfield services, including disputes arising from accounting irregularities.
- Acting as lead counsel in multiple disputes arising from drilling operations, casing and oilfield equipment failures.
- Serving as lead counsel in multiple surface damage disputes, including disputes involving the disposal of saltwater.
Last Updated 8th September 2017