T: +1 (212) 530 5283
Jed Schwartz is a partner in the New York office of Milbank LLP and a member of the firm’s Litigation & Arbitration Group. Mr. Schwartz counsels companies and individuals on a wide variety of complex matters throughout the US, including commercial and securities litigation, stockholder disputes, bankruptcy matters, and regulatory investigations. He has significant experience representing clients in a broad range of industries including financial services, real estate and hospitality, and reinsurance.
Mr. Schwartz’s notable recent representations include:
- Secured dismissal of an appeal seeking to undo the confirmed $1.2 billion chapter 11 bankruptcy plans that client JD Holdings, L.L.C. put forward for over 70 debtors affiliated with John Q. Hammons Hotels and Resorts.
- Secured dismissal of a lawsuit pending in federal court in New York that asserted federal securities fraud claims against Ambac Financial Group, as well as current and former senior officers and directors, alleging principally that Ambac and individual defendants concealed Ambac’s credit risk and loss exposure to PuertoRico bonds Ambac insured.
- Secured dismissal of all claims brought against Citibank, N.A. and several of its affiliates by Simmtech Co., Ltd., in which the South Korean circuit board manufacturer alleged that it lost $73 million at the height of the 2008 global financial crisis as a result of foreign exchange options trades it entered into with Citibank’s Korean affiliate, Citibank Korea Inc.
- Secured dismissal of all claims brought against Citibank and several of its affiliates of by six Korean businesses asserting 102 separate claims for relief against Citibank and related entities, including claims for fraud, unjust enrichment and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Obtaining dismissal of Section 11 and Section 12(a)(2) claims against a group of underwriters arising from a secondary public offering of equity securities.
- Achieving victory on behalf of Citigroup Global Markets Inc. in opposing arbitration by former clients of CGMI’s affiliates, which culminated in a three-week bench trial and affirmance in CGMI’s favor by the Second Circuit.
- Obtaining a $41 million summary judgment award in a dispute between a reinsurer and a managing general agent.
- Obtaining pre-discovery judgment for client seeking to enforce a right of first refusal on a portfolio of hotels and other assets.
Mr. Schwartz was included in Benchmark Litigation’s “40 and Under Hot List” in 2018 and 2019, which honors the achievements of the nation’s most accomplished litigators the age of forty and under. He was also named as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers from 2016 – 2019.
Last updated July 2019