Year Joined Firm: 2015
LL.M. degree from Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London
Degree in law from Yaroslav the Wise National Law Academy of Ukraine
Languages Spoken: Ukrainian, English, Russian, French
He is experienced in acting for clients at all stages of litigation, international arbitration and enforcement, offering versatile advice on contentious matters. This includes negotiations, arbitration and post-arbitration advice. Sergiy has handled arbitrations under a variety of international institutional and ad hoc arbitration rules, including ICACU, LCIA, LMAA, SCC, ICC, UNCITRAL and ICSID.
Sergiy has unique experience of advising energy and oil & gas sector clients in investment arbitrations involving Ukrainian parties. Acting as an official member of the Ukrainian Government Negotiating Team, Sergiy was also involved in developing and negotiating some of the core international treaties and agreements for the Government.
Sergiy is a listed arbitrator of the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. He is the Head of ICC Ukraine's Commission on International Arbitration and a member of the Council of the Ukrainian Bar Association Committee on Procedural Law.
Mr Gryshko has been nominated by Ukraine to the list of persons capable and willing to resolve trade disputes between the EU and Ukraine pursuant to Chapter 14(1) Title IV of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement.
Sergiy is a member of the Arbitration Committee established according to the Law “On Financial Restructuring”, introduced with the help of the EBRD and the World Bank. Sergiy represents Ukraine in the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR.
Selected experience includes:
- acting for the State of Ukraine in the ICSID case No. ARB/04/2 (WNISEF v. Ukraine);
- acting for an investor in a USD 800 million UNCITRAL case of Tatneft v Ukraine brought under Ukraine-Russia BIT;
- acting for an investor in an ICSID case of City-State and ors. v. Ukraine brought under Netherlands-Ukraine BIT;
- acting for an investor in a USD 300 million UNCITRAL case of Tatarstan v Ukraine brought under Ukraine-Russia BIT;
- a group of Ukrainian investors on investment claims against Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia under Ukraine-Macedonia BIT;
- representing Krym Petroleum Company, a subsidiary of Norwegian oil & gas company Tiway Oil, in a complex multi-party ICC arbitration brought by an international drilling contractor under an IADC Daywork Contract;
- acting for a major international electronics producer in an arbitration against a Turkish surety.
Key Practice Areas:
- Commercial arbitration
- International arbitration
- Supreme Court
- White collar crime
Last updated 30th November 2018