Roy O'Connor LLP
200 Front St. West Suite 2300
Toronto, Ontario M5V 3K2
Peter L. Roy is senior litigation counsel and a founding partner of Roy O'Connor LLP, a litigation boutique in Toronto. Members of Roy O'Connor LLP are very experienced in all aspects of civil litigation and arbitration involving plaintiffs and defendants in both individual, group and class proceedings. Peter has particular expertise in these fields relating to complex corporate commercial matters including securities, oppression and derivative actions, director and officer duties and responsibilities, mining related litigation and professional discipline.
In addition to this recognition, Peter and his partner David O'Connor (the other founding partner of Roy O'Connor LLP) have been recognized as National and Ontario Litigation Stars. Their partners Sean Grayson and Adam Dewar have also been recognized as Rising Stars.
Peter was a senior partner, litigation co-chair and executive committee member of one of Canada's largest firms before deciding to join with David in the formation of Roy O'Connor LLP. The formation of Roy O'Connor LLP has allowed members of the firm to take on retainers free of conflicts that routinely arise in large full service firms.
Members of Roy O'Connor LLP have acted in cases involving billions of dollars and on several occasions the firm has been recognized by Benchmark as Plaintiff Firm of the Year.
Peter has been counsel on many significant reported cases. Some of the more noteworthy, publicly disclosed cases include his work as senior litigation counsel for:
- Pre-1986 and post -1990 Hepatitis C plaintiff class members that resulted in a $1,000,000,000 settlement in favour of those claimants;
- BMO Nesbitt Burns with respect to the Defence of various national and international multi-billion dollar individual and class proceedings arising out of the collapse of Bre-X Minerals;
- BHP with respect to claims against the Government of Canada for contribution toward the long term tailings maintenance costs arising from Cold War uranium production;
- Oppression remedy claims by the shareholders and former board members of Coalcorp Mining Inc.;
- Defending a proposed securities class action on behalf of Directors of Western Coal;
- An action commenced under the Class Proceedings Act against a major Canadian law firm with respect to allegedly negligent tax advice;
- A successful class action against the Federal Government for same sex survivor pension benefits under the Canada Pension Plan;
- An action commenced and successfully resolved under the Class Proceedings Act with respect to unpaid overtime against the Bank of Nova Scotia;
- Indemnification and damage claims on behalf of the founder of Unique Broadband Systems including CCAA proceedings and related Take Over Bid Injunction.