Howard Shapray, QC
Howard Shapray, Q.C. is rated by his peers as a leader of British Columbia’s commercial litigation bar. In a career that has spanned more than four decades, he has successfully prosecuted and defended or consulted on a gamut of extraordinary, complex, landmark civil matters, including corporate disputes, estate disputes, property and environmental cases, mining litigation, securities regulatory disputes, fraud and conspiracy claims,
professional liability claims, libel and slander, commercial arbitration, intellectual property issues, constitutional issues and matrimonial property claims.
Mr. Shapray has appeared as counsel in all levels of the Canadian courts, including the Supreme and Appeal Courts of British Columbia, the Superior Court of Ontario and Ontario Court of Appeal, plus the Alberta Queen’s Bench and Alberta Court of Appeal. Working with some the top- rated lawyers in the United States and Europe, he has also represented clients involved in foreign litigation. In addition to his courtroom appearances he has participated in high stakes commercial arbitrations and mediations. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America and a graduate of the mediation course of the Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation.
Mr. Shapray, together with the firm’s other partners and associates are also recognized by their peers — and the firm’s distinguished roster of clients – for their demanding standards, intense work ethic, innovative approaches to the art of persuasion and the pursuit of creative dispute resolution techniques. Each has enjoyed careers at large, full service law firms before joining forces in a boutique environment devoted exclusively to representing clients involved in a broad variety of commercial disputes. For more information on the firm, its legal team and the professional accolades they have earned, see www.scfl-law.com.
The firm’s client roster has included billionaire entrepreneurs, major Canadian and US based corporations, as well as the government of British Columbia. The firm’s reputation for excellence has been enhanced by its role as counsel in many of the high profile, high stakes, intense litigation and arbitration cases that have become important precedents of Canadian jurisprudence. Over the last few years, Mr. Shapray and SCFL lawyers have:
- successfully obtained a $93 million award and defended the judgment through an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada; successfully defended and defeated a $53 million claim by a partner in a failed land development; defeated a Mareva injunction seizing shares worth USD $152,000,000 obtained by the US Justice Department and obtained “solicitor-client” costs of over $1,000,000 payable by the Unites States Department of Justice to the client.
- settled a landmark “nuisance” case against the government of Canada involving economic harm from unexploded WWII munitions;
- represented the government of British Columbia in the Court of Appeal on an important constitutional question;
- represented a client-beneficiary in one of the largest estate disputes in Canadianhistory;
- successfully defeated defamation claims against directors and officers of the British Columbia Medical Association in a lengthy trial and successfully defended the trial court judgment to the Supreme Court of Canada;
Last updated: March 2019