+1 202 736 8053
KAREN A. POPP, is the Global Co-Leader of the firm's White Collar: Government Litigation & Investigations group. Karen has an expansive practice representing companies and individuals in high-profile matters with legal, political and public relations components, such as corporate criminal defense, internal investigations, SEC Enforcement, Congressional investigations, OIG and State Attorney General actions, corporate compliance, and litigation. Chambers Global and Chambers USA recognize her as a leader in the fields of White Collar and FCPA. Her practice is informed by a wealth of government and private sector experience, including service as a federal prosecutor in New York, a lawyer in the Office of Legal Counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice, and Associate White House Counsel to President Clinton.
Karen represents Sidley clients across a host of industries in a wide range of matters involving allegations of criminal, civil and ethical wrongdoing. Her clients range from major corporations to prominent business and political figures, including a U.S. Presidential Cabinet Member. She has been retained to lead dozens of confidential worldwide internal investigations and defend corporations and individuals in government investigations relating to alleged FCPA and OFAC violations, securities and financial fraud, accounting irregularities, environmental crimes, kickbacks, tax fraud, qui tams, misuse of corporate assets, false claims, antitrust and other bribery, corruption and fraud.
Her recent experience includes:
- Successfully obtained prosecutorial declinations for companies in significant criminal investigations
- Representing numerous companies and individuals in connection with FCPA investigations before the Department of Justice and S.E.C. These large-scale investigations span dozens of countries across the globe.
- Conducted a global Independent Internal Investigation into FCPA allegations at Key Energy.
- Representing companies in State Attorney General investigations involving alleged false claims and qui tams.
- Represented Duke Energy in Clean Water Act prosecutions by DOJ over the companies' North Carolina coal ash ponds and oil spill into the Ohio River and in the Antitrust resolution regarding Osprey Energy.
- Successfully represented a senior executive of an auto parts manufacturer in a criminal cartel investigation into allegations of price-fixing, bid-rigging and market allocation.
- Successfully represented a U.S. Presidential Cabinet member in DOJ and congressional investigations.
- Representing a senior oil executive in a multi-national anti-corruption investigation.
Karen also assists clients in designing and enhancing corporate compliance and ethics programs, and currently serves as outside counsel to several corporate compliance departments. She has conducted global compliance and risk assessments for numerous U.S. and non-U.S. companies. Karen helps companies to respond to internal allegations of wrongdoing, conducts training for Boards of Directors, management, compliance departments and other company personnel, and conducts compliance due diligence regarding corporate acquisitions and joint ventures.
Last Updated 27th July 2017