Mary Beth Forshaw, a Partner in Simpson Thacher’s Litigation Department, represents clients in a range of litigation, particularly in the areas of insurance, reinsurance, bankruptcy, commercial disputes and international arbitration. She is a member of the Firm’s Compensation Committee and has served as the Firm’s Administrative Partner and for six terms on its Executive Committee. Some of Mary Beth’s key matters include:
- Lead trial counsel in a several hundred million dollar, highly-watched New York reinsurance litigation that settled shortly after jury selection.
- Lead trial counsel in Nevada-venued dispute involving multiple construction claims. A directed verdict was awarded to Mary Beth’s client at trial.
- Representation of a national bank in multiple litigations alleging fraud concerning municipal bond defaults. Lead trial counsel in a related proceeding that successfully settled mid-trial.
- Lead counsel in a multibillion-dollar dispute against General Motors over coverage for asbestos and environmental claims. Mary Beth’s client was awarded summary judgment on all claims on the eve of trial.
- Successful representation of a captive insurer in multiple arbitrations for recovery of flood related losses.
- Co-counsel in the defense of an insurer in a three-month trial of allocation issues. Mary Beth’s client reached a favorable settlement after the close of testimony.
- Representation of an insurer in a high exposure coverage dispute with a defense contractor over hazardous waste claims. Seven consecutive summary judgment motions were granted in Mary Beth’s client’s favor.
- Representation of Hanwha Group and ORIX Corporation in a billion dollar ICC arbitration arising out of the sale of Korea Life Insurance Company. A unanimous award was issued in Mary Beth’s client’s favor, rejecting claims of fraud and rescission.
- Lead litigation counsel for a memory product manufacturer and distributor in its bankruptcy proceedings relating to asset sales and alleged fraudulent transfers.
- Representation of an insurer in multiple asbestos-related bankruptcy proceedings, including In re ACandS, Inc., in which Mary Beth’s client, as the sole objector, defeated the proposed plan of reorganization. This decision has become a roadmap for insurers contesting other reorganization plans.
Mary Beth received the 2016 Insurance Lawyer of the Year award from Benchmark Litigation. In recognizing her as a National “Litigation Star” and “New York Star,” Benchmark Litigation indicates she “is referenced by most peers in the field as the true go-to. She is like a guru in this world.” Mary Beth received her B.A. (Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude) from Barnard College, Columbia University and her J.D. from Yale Law School. She is the Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Legal Action Center and a Director of the City Bar Fund and Yale Law School Fund.
Last Updated 27th July 2017