Mary Beth Forshaw is a Partner in Simpson Thacher's Litigation Department. She is serving her seventh term on the Firm's Executive Committee and was previously the Firm's Co-Administrative Partner. Mary Beth represents clients in a range of commercial litigation matters, particularly in the areas of insurance, reinsurance, banking, bankruptcy and international arbitration. Key matters on which she has worked include:
- Lead trial counsel in a high profile reinsurance recovery action that settled in her client's favor after jury selection.
- Lead trial counsel in a Nevada-venued contribution dispute involving multiple construction claims. A directed verdict was awarded to Mary Beth's client at trial.
- Representation of a national bank in bankruptcy and state court litigations alleging fraud concerning municipal bond defaults. Lead trial counsel in proceeding that was successfully settled mid-trial.
- Lead counsel in multibillion-dollar dispute brought by General Motors over coverage for decades of asbestos and environmental claims. Mary Beth's client was awarded summary judgment on all claims on the eve of trial.
- Representation of a national bank in multi-district class action litigation involving alleged manipulation of interest rate benchmarks.
- Co-counsel in the defense of a national insurer in a three-month trial in New Jersey state court relating to allocation issues. Mary Beth's client reached a favorable settlement after the close of testimony.
- Representation of a national insurer in a coverage dispute with a defense contractor over multiple hazardous waste claims. Mary Beth's client was awarded summary judgment in seven different decisions.
- Representation of Hanwha Group and ORIX Corporation in a billion-dollar ICC arbitration arising out of the sale of Korea Life Insurance Company. A unanimous award was issued in Mary Beth's client's favor, rejecting claims of fraud, misrepresentation and rescission.
- Lead litigation counsel for Chapter 11 debtors, a memory product manufacturer and distributor, in various adversary proceedings and evidentiary hearings relating to asset sales, fraudulent transfers and claims.
- Representation of a national insurer in various asbestos-related bankruptcy proceedings, including In re ACandS, Inc., in which Mary Beth's client, as the sole objector, defeated the proposed plan of reorganization. This widely-cited decision became a roadmap for insurers contesting other reorganization plans.
Mary Beth was named "Best in Insurance and Reinsurance" at the Euromoney's Women in Business Law Awards 2018 and the 2016 Insurance Lawyer of the Year by Benchmark Litigation. In recognizing her as a National "Litigation Star" and "New York Star," Benchmark Litigation indicates she "is referenced by most peers in the field as the true go-to. She is like a guru in this world." Mary Beth received her B.A. (Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude) from Barnard College, Columbia University and her J.D. from Yale Law School. She is the Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Legal Action Center and serves on the Board of Directors of the Yale Law School Fund.
Last updated: July 2018