Thomas C. Rice, a Partner at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, is a prominent commercial trial lawyer. He has extensive experience in a wide variety of complex litigations, including securities, antitrust, bankruptcy litigation, ERISA and professional malpractice. He is consistently recognized as a leader in his field by Chambers USA, The Legal 500 and Euromoney's Benchmark Litigation.
Tom is counsel for JPMorgan Chase in its LIBOR-related litigations and a variety of other matters, and represents issuer and underwriter defendants in residential mortgage-backed securities litigations.
Other representative engagements include:
- Merrill Lynch Capital Services, Inc. v. UISA Finance, where Tom was lead trial counsel for Merrill Lynch in its suit to enforce a complex derivatives transaction and in which the Firm won $168 million verdict for its client;
- Melcher v. Greenberg Traurig, LLP, where Tom represents the defendants in an action alleging attorney deceit actionable under the New York Judiciary law;
- Federal Housing Finance Agency v. Nomura Holding America Inc. et al., in which Tom was lead counsel for the underwriter defendant, RBS Securities Inc.;
- In re Municipal Derivatives Antitrust Litigation, where Tom represented JPMorgan Chase and served as liaison counsel for the defendants alleged to have conspired to fix prices of various derivatives products sold to municipalities throughout the U.S.;
- In re Fontainebleau Las Vegas Contract Litigation, in which Tom represented Barclays, Deutsche Bank, JPMorgan Chase and RBS in coordinated lender liability litigation arising from the failure of the Fontainebleau Las Vegas casino project;
- In re Idearc Inc., in which Tom was trial counsel for JPMorgan Chase in copyright-related lien litigation commenced by the Idearc Uninsured Creditors Committee; and
- In re Enron Corp. Securities, Derivatives and “ERISA” Litigation, where Tom has served as lead counsel for JPMorgan Chase in securities and related litigations and government investigations.
Tom has received a variety of professional recognitions, including for excellence in client service. Chambers and Partners consistently recognizes Tom as a Leading Lawyer in Securities and General Commercial Litigation, where sources have described him as “one of the best lawyers I have ever dealt with” and “a very honorable guy, bright, and you can bank on what he says.” The Legal 500 recognizes Tom as a “Leading Lawyer,” with “a strong analytical mind”; a “consummate professional” and “praised for his “great litigation skills.” He is also consistently recognized by Euromoney's Benchmark Litigation as a National “Litigation Star” in General Commercial Litigation and a “New York Star.” An active pro bono litigator, Tom will receive in fall 2017, the St. Thomas More Award from the Inner-City Scholarship Fund for his leadership and service to the legal community.
Tom is admitted to the New York Bar and in a number of federal trial and appellate courts across the United States.
Last Updated 26th September 2017