University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1989; Order of the Coif; Virginia Law Review; First Place, William Minor Lile Moot Court Competition; Eppa Hunton IV Memorial Award; Stephen Pierre Traynor Award
George Mason University, MAIS Public Policy, 1986
James Madison University, summa cum laude, 1983
Chairman of Williams & Connolly, Dane Butswinkas focuses his practice on trial and arbitration work. Based on his extensive experience trying cases throughout the United States in both state and federal courts, Law360 named him one of the top fifty "Trial Aces" in the nation in 2015. Benchmark Litigation recognized Dane as "National Commercial Lawyer of the Year" in February 2016.
A truly versatile commercial litigator, Dane has developed insight and experience in numerous sectors at the heart of the global economy. His experience in the financial services sector includes defending financial institutions, directors, officers, and countries in civil and criminal litigation involving securitizations, hedge funds, bond and mortgage markets, investment vehicle structuring, and corporate governance. He also defends corporations, directors and officers in actions arising under securities laws, deceptive trade practice statutes, RICO, ERISA, and the Clayton and Sherman Acts, as well as in grand jury investigations.
Dane’s diverse experience also includes defending corporations and individuals in product liability actions, including pharmaceutical companies in trials such as the Nexium, Baycol, Vioxx, and Seroquel litigations; in medical malpractice trials; and in the most significant defamation case to go to trial in many years.
In other sectors, Dane has defended companies in the food, telecommunications, technology, and power industries in commercial litigation throughout the U.S. and around the globe.
Dane also has a significant track record representing corporations in domestic and international arbitrations before the AAA and the ICC.
Dane is a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, and Benchmark Litigation identified him as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in America. He is Co-Chair of the firm’s Financial Services and Banking and Commercial Litigation practice groups.
- Winning a defense verdict in Boston for a major pharmaceutical company in landmark antitrust litigation seeking $60 billion
- Winning a defense verdict in New York for Home Box Office in the first major media defamation case to go to verdict in about two decades
- Winning a defense verdict in a $750 million breach of contract trial in New York involving two Irish special purpose vehicles
- Winning acquittal on all counts for a Bear Stearns officer in a securities fraud insider trading and conspiracy trial in New York
- Winning a defense verdict in a $200 million corporate fiduciary duty trial in Indiana
- Winning a defense verdict in New York for a Pennsylvania corporation against allegations of fraud and breach of contract arising from a failed securitization
- Securing dismissal of all charges in Afghanistan against an Army Battalion Leader in a criminal case alleging negligent homicide and dereliction of duty
- Securing arbitral award and attorneys’ fees in New York in an unfair competition claim against a Canadian company
Key Practice Areas
- Banking + Financial Services
- Business & Commercial
- Civil Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- White Collar Crime
Last Updated 30th August 2017