Peter L. Roy remains very active as the firm’s senior litigation counsel. He is a founding partner of Roy O’Connor LLP. Peter is very experienced in all aspects of civil litigation involving corporate, individual and class proceedings. He has particular expertise in complex corporate commercial and securities litigation, shareholder and derivative actions, Director and Officer Duties and Responsibilities, Oppression Actions, mining related litigation, Class Actions and Estate and Trust disputes.
Peter has been recognized by Benchmark Canada as a Benchmark Litigation Star, a National Securities Litigation Star and an Ontario Securities, Class Action Litigation Star and one of the Top 50 Trial Lawyers in Canada. Members of Roy O’Connor LLP have acted in cases involving billions of dollars and on several occasions the firm has been recognized by Benchmark Litigation as Plaintiff Firm of the Year.
Peter is also a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
Peter has been counsel on many noteworthy cases including:
- Pre-1986 and past-1990 Hepatitis C plaintiff class that resulted in a $1,000,000,000 settlement in favour of those claimants together with on-going administration;
- BHP with respect to claims against the Government of Canada for contribution toward the long-term tailings’ maintenance costs arising from Cold War uranium production;
- Oppression remedy claims by the shareholders and former board members of Coalcorp Mining Inc.;
- Defending a proposed securities class action on behalf of Directors of Western Coal;
- An action commenced under the Class Proceedings Act against Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP with respect to allegedly negligent tax advice;
- Hislop same sex survivor Canada Pension Benefits successful class action against the Federal Government;
- An action under the Class Proceedings Act with respect to unpaid overtime against the Bank of Nova Scotia resulting in a settlement;
- An action commenced under the Class Proceedings Act with respect to alleged misclassification of employees and related overtime entitlements against CNR; Indemnification and damage claims on behalf of the founder of Unique Broadband Systems including CCAA proceedings and related Take Over Bid Injunction;
- BMO Nesbitt Burns with respect to the Defence of various national and international multi-billion dollar individual and class proceedings arising out of the collapse of Bre-X Minerals;
- Kinross Gold Corporation with respect to contractual and fiduciary claims arising out of the acquisition and disposition of Greek mining assets.
Peter is very pleased to be once again included in Benchmark’s Top 50 Trial Lawyers in Canada.
Last updated Feb 2020