Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenney, LLP is New York’s proven litigation boutique. For more than 20 years, we have provided the most sophisticated counsel—consistent with the quality of the elite national firms and government agencies where our lawyers trained—to clients in their highest-stakes matters. We remain small by design, preserving a model that demands the highest standards, personal attention, and a focus on efficiency.
HNRK lawyers represent both plaintiffs and defendants in complex disputes, without limitation to any specific industry or type. We have represented clients in diverse areas such as construction, employment, contract disputes and business torts, securities, intellectual property, executive compensation, trade secret theft, white-collar investigations and proceedings, insurance disputes on behalf of policyholders only, class action and multi-district litigation, director liability, professional malpractice, and partnership disputes.
HNRK has litigated and is currently litigating many significant and cutting-edge matters throughout the country. For example, HNRK brought the first case under the newly enacted federal Defend Trade Secrets Act in the New York federal courts and obtained the first seizure order in the U.S. pursuant to that statute. We also recently represented:
- An international agribusiness company against more than 50 insurance companies over a $170 million liability.
- Plaintiffs in an intellectual property licensing trial involving the famous Palm restaurant, resulting in a $120 million award.
- A refinery inspection company in a complete defense victory against Sinclair following a trial over more than $88 million in claims arising from a major refinery fire.
- A large New York City apartment building in a significant decision for New York policyholders, making clear—for the first time—the minimal standard needed to plead a bad faith claim and confirming that New York recognizes that a policyholder may assert a claim damages, including attorneys’ fees, arising from an insurance company’s bad faith claims handling.
- The head interest swaps trader at Barclays Bank in a government investigation by the Department of Justice and the U.K. Serious Fraud Office alleging manipulation of the LIBOR rate in violation of U.S. and U.K. securities laws.
- A public authority in a $300 million litigation against a national defense contractor over the development and installation of a high-technology, software-based security system for the region’s mass transit system, culminating in a five-week trial in the Southern District of New York.
- A foreign corporation against $500 million in property damage claims brought by 3,000 individuals in the District of Puerto Rico, which was amicably resolved on the eve of trial.
HNRK’s attorneys have decades of trial and government experience, and regularly try complex commercial disputes throughout the U.S. in state and federal courts. In two years alone, HNRK tried numerous cases, including:
- A jury trial on behalf of a Jordanian financial services company in connection with breach of contract and conversion of letter of credit against Mastercard International, Inc. in the Southern District of New York; the jury awarded HNRK’s client the entirety of the amount sought at trial and awarded nothing to Mastercard on its counterclaims.
- A negligence action against the Metropolitan Transit Authority brought by a police officer, in which HNRK prevailed after a multi-day trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- The defense of one of New York’s largest medical centers against employment discrimination claims in a six-week trial before the notoriously employee-friendly New York Supreme Court, Bronx County, in which HNRK secured the successful dismissal of more than half of the plaintiff’s claims before the case went to the jury.
- The representation of a partner in a snack-food company in a dispute with another partner, in which HNRK secured a successful settlement after a multi-day trial.
- The defense of an international agribusiness company in a multi-week CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution arbitration over the commercialization of an agrochemical product.
- A policyholder in an AAA arbitration against an insurer concerning coverage for asbestos claims.
HNRK is certified by the State of New York and the City of New York as a Women-Owned Business Enterprise and, according to the New York Law Journal, was the fourth-largest certified women-owned law firm in the State of New York as of 2016.
Last Updated September 2019